Engagement with conflict is essential to caring for God’s people, healing our churches, and renewing the world. Yet many ministers say they wish they were better equipped for this work. This year’s Fall Conference at Candler offers plenary sessions from Reverend Dr. Gary Mason (Mission Superintendent in the Methodist Church of Ireland) and United Methodist Bishop Kenneth L. Carder, and eight workshops on conflict transformation within congregations, with youth, within the community, and in ecumenical contexts.
6:00 p.m. Registration and Appetizers
6:30 p.m. Keynote: “The Role of the Church in Working for Peace, Justice and
Reconciliation” by the Reverend Dr. Gary Mason
8:00 p.m. Receptions with Cohort Groups
8:00 p.m. Reformation Concert (optional)
8:00 a.m. Poster session (interactive, with representatives, etc.) with continental breakfast
9:30 a.m. Workshops – Session I
- Joshua Case and Elizabeth Corrie: “Acting Up and Acting Out? Reframing the Way We Experience Conflict with Youth”
- Pam Leonard: “Restorative Justice as a Pastoral Response to Violence and Trauma”
- Ellen Marshall: “Strategies for Talking about the Things We Can’t Talk About”
- Bernard Lafayette: "Nonviolence: Conflict Reconciliation"
11:30 a.m. Distinguished Alumni Luncheon
2:00 p.m. Workshops – Session II
- Sarah Poole and Elizabeth Corrie: “Helping Young People Increase the Peace: Using and Teaching the HIPP Curriculum in Diverse Settings”
- Jennie Knight and Leslie Harris: “Negotiating Racial Conflicts: Lessons from the Transforming Community Project at Emory and in Local Congregations and Communities”
- Elizabeth Bounds: “Beginning Skills in Conflict Transformation”
- Gary Mason: “How Social Holiness provides a context for building peace - Case Study of East Belfast Mission”
4:00 p.m. Keynote: “Conflict as Threat and Opportunity” by Bishop Kenneth
11:05 a.m. Worship in Cannon Chapel with Gary Mason, preacher
As a courtesy to Candler School of Theology, we will honor a discounted rate of $159.00 for rooms at the Emory Conference Center Hotel and $ 76.00 for rooms at the Emory Inn for your event. Guests can call our reservations department at 800-93-EMORY (800-933-6679) and identify themselves as guests of the Conflict Transformation as Ministry, under Reservation ID 10006019377 at the Emory Inn or Reservation ID 20006019378at the Emory Conference Center to reserve their rooms.