| Registration is required. You may register online or by calling 973-655-4141.|
Join us for a tour of some of the world's foremost producers of wine. Each region we visit will showcase the wine that best represents their native flavors. Featured regions will be US, Australia/New Zealand, South America, and Europe. We will taste a variety of light, medium and full bodied wines. Along your tour you will be guided by an expert in the wine industry. We look forward to taking you on this journey.
Mix and mingle with other wine lovers as you are led through an evening of wines from around the world! It is sure to be a night to remember. Anyone can drink wine, but it takes practice to recognize and distinguish a wine's characteristics. Each station will feature four wines and you'll be provided with an overview of the wine regions, history, and description of each of the wines you will sample.
Date: Thursday, December 5
Time: 7:00-9:00 p.m.
Location: University Hall, Conference Center
Cost: $35 pre registered / $50 at the door
Must be 21 or older to attend. You may register online or by calling the Office of Alumni Relations at 973-655-4141. Registration includes dinner, beverages, and a $5 contribution to the Fund for Montclair State. Thank you for your support of Montclair State University!
Registration required by November 29. It's sure to be a great evening, so join us! This "around the world" tasting will allow you to mix and mingle, all while enjoying a wonderful variety of wines. All visitors are directed to park in the Red Hawk Parking Deck for a nominal fee. For questions, call the Office of Alumni Relations at 973-655-4141. Space is limited. If you do not pre-register, walk-in registration is $50 and will be based on available seating.
Set on the seventh story of University Hall, The Conference Center has a million-dollar panoramic view of the Manhattan skyline that will leave you breathless.
Fig and Arugula Salad with Shallot Vinaigrette
French Chicken Breast with Sage Butter
Roasted Winter Vegetables
Antipasto served with flatbreads and crackers
Petits Fours Sec Assortment
Sodas and Sparkling Water
The tasting will include the following wines:
Deloach Chardonnay, California 2012
Stonecap Merlot, Columbia Valley, Washington St. 2012
- We strive to produce distinctive wines that spotlight unique terroirs in an environmentally responsible way, practicing sustainable viticulture and minimally intrusive winemaking. The grapes for our Chardonnay were carefully chosen from cool, fog-influenced vineyards sustainably farmed along the California Coast.
Paripaso Cabernet Sauvignon, Central Coast, Ca. 2012
- Sourced from the famous Goose Ridge Estate near Red Mountain in the Columbia Valley. This wine is 89% merlot and 11% cabernet sauvignon.
Ravenswood Zinfandel, 2011
- Where Paris and Paso Robles meet to combine the best of both continents in a wine that is food friendly, yet bold and full of flavor. The wine has a soft supple texture accentuated by dark berry flavors and hints of vanilla and sweet oak. This wine is all about: the intersection of old world style and juicy California fruit.
- Big, bold, unapologetic. 75% zinfandel, 16% petite sirah, 6% syrah and 5% other black grapes aged ten months in French oak barrels of which one 1/3 are new.
El Origen Torrontes Reserva, Cafayate, Argentina 2011
Navarro Correas Syrah, Mendoza Argentina 2010
- The best appellation for Torrontés within Argentina is Cafayate, in the Salta Province. The vines we have in our Finca El Origen vineyards are 30 years old, clones selected from the original Argentinean Torrontés and planted at 5,500 feet above the sea level.
Argento Malbec, Mendoza Argentina 2012
- Thick, concentrated, and direct, this is a syrah to pair with the richest foods. Still tannic and not very sweet, it’s like dark jam made from the ripest plums.
35 South Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve, Chile 2011
- This superb Malbec is deep purple in color and offers powerful aromas of blackstone fruit and floral notes. Juicy flavors of plum and blackberry, with a touch of chocolate and vanilla from oak ageing, lead into a long lingering finish with ripe velvety tannins.
- Our selection of vineyards in Maipo and Aconcagua valleys provide grapes with very distinctive characteristics, which become integrated into a great Cabernet Sauvignon. A wine with an intense fruit character, concentration and softness, well complemented by the contribution of its aging in oak.
Oxford Landing Viognier, Australia 2013
Dashwood Pinot Noir, Marlborough. New Zealand 2012
- Set on the banks of the majestic Murray, the Oxford Landing vineyard is named after a nearby site where drovers once grazed and watered sheep. A fresh and zesty Viognier that shows the classic flavors and aromas of white flowers, some musk and stone fruit. The first Viognier was planted at Oxford Landing in 1993, and the wines made from the fruit these vines produce just keep getting better and better.
Running with the Bulls Tempranillo, Barossa Valley, Australia 2011
- The 2012 Dashwood Marlborough Pinot Noir begins with aromas of bright cherry and raspberry with a few herbal notes and a little spice. The wine tastes of juicy red and black cherry and has a nice layer of spice that carries all the way through to the finish. There's also some juicy fruit on the finish that lasts for quite a while.
Repeat Shiraz/Zinfandel, 2012
- A sweet floral nose is followed by a devilishly alluring, lightly leathery Tempranillo palate. There is lots of lip-smacking fruit but some structure and real Tempranillo character here. The palate seems more Tempranillo than the perfume and although some oak is involved, its influence is structural rather than aromatic. Sweet start, dry finish, is a pretty good combo.
- Aromas of ripe black fruits, wild berry, cedary oak, and nutmeg. Juicy blackberry with dark chocolate and aniseed undertones. Plush and approachable with nicely rounded tannins. A versatile food wine that will pair perfectly with all types of red meat dishes
JL Wolf Gewurztraminer, 2011
Louis Bernard Cotes du Rhone, 2012
- Villa Wolf Gewürztraminer is clean, fruity and wonderfully light on its feet. It shows off the aromatic charm of the variety with the deliciously juicy texture and a delicate aroma of spice and fresh roses
Santa Cristina Sangiovese, 2011
- The wine is characterized by a good percentage of Syrah grapes. This gives the wine its profound colour, specific nose and complex structure. The grapes are only harvested after tasting the berries to ensure optimal maturity. Ample and fruity with a gentle hint of oak
Layer Cake Garnacha, 2010
- Very punchy. High volumes of pepper even in the tannis. The smell is very peppery, and the color is semi-purple to red. This wine would definitely work with a steak or other red meat. Very robust and flavorful.
About the Sommelier – Gerry Piserchia
- It pours a deep, almost bloody, ruby red color which is gorgeous. Aromas are of red raspberries and a non-distinct earthiness. Tasting brings a lush bouquet of more red raspberries, craisins, dark roasted coffee, toasty oak and smoked alder wood, with a smooth moderately tannic finish.
Gerry has his father to thank for the opportunities and adventures he has experienced in the world of wine. Growing up in an Italian household, wine was a part of every dinner but it was his advice that finding not just a job, but a lifestyle that led Gerry to the study of wine. He began his career in wine working for noted retailer Carlo Russo where he was exposed to the great wines of the world through the tasting group, Les Amis du Vin. While working there, he worked at numerous tastings and dinners and was able to meet and talk to many wine makers and winery owners. Traveling to California for the first time in 1988, he was struck by the rural beauty and friendliness of the people he met. More than twenty-five years have passed and each and every trip to wine country still produces that sense of wonder and excitement at learning from the people who live it every day. Seeking to challenge himself, he attained the Wine & Spirit Trust “Advanced Certificate with Honors” and the Society of Wine Educators “Certified Wine Educator” and “Certified Spirit Specialist” degrees and the Guild of the Sommelier Level 1 accreditation. Currently, Gerry is the Director of Education for Fedway Associates Inc., a wine and spirit wholesaler in New Jersey where he runs weekly wine courses for their 250+ sales people as well single session and multi-week courses for their retail and restaurant customers.
Event made possible through generous support from Liberty Mutual Insurance.
Home - Auto - Renters
To register online, log on to MONTCLAIRconnect - Montclair State's online community. If you have not yet signed on, please see the log on instructions below.
First time user? Logging on is easy!
Click here to visit MONTCLAIRconnect registration page:
Registration is a four-step process:
Step 1: Enter your last name, first name, and class year
Step 2: Click on your name from the list provided.
Step 3: Verify your identity by entering your security information. Your ID number was included in your email invitation or contact the Office of Alumni Relations for the number.
Step 4: Create your username and password. Read and agree to the policy of use and your sign on is complete!
You will need to do this only once. After you create your username and password, just visit the welcome page to log on.
If you need assistance, please contact the Office of Alumni Relations at 973-655-4141 or email@example.com