Photo courtesy of Boulder Historical Society Collection of the Carnegie Branch Library for Local History
Beginning Genealogy Workshops
Saturday, October 12 and October 19
9 a.m.-4 p.m.
ATLAS Room 104
Interested in your family's history? Learn the basics of genealogical research with professional historian, expert genealogist and CU Heritage Center staff member Mona Lambrecht. With 25 years of experience Mona will guide you through the beginning steps of your family history research. Get research tips and tricks, know how to stay organized, locate useful sources, and navigate through various online genealogy websites.
Day 1 Topics Include:
- How to get started and where to get help
- Ideas to get organized and keep track of your research
- What types of sources are out there?
- Create a basic research plan
- Online research options
- Learn to navigate Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org
Day 2 Topics Include:
- Searching for documents in the right places
- Learn how to analyze your sources
- How to determine source quality
- Create a good research plan
- Ideas for breaking down brick walls
- Case study examples
- Learn about free online research options
With these workshops you will receive:
- Personalized one-on-one help
- Access to a computer lab with Apple computers with an internet connection, or bring your own laptop
- Workshop materials on a thumb drive
Cost: $25 per day
- Sign up for one day or both days depending on your experience
Optional $10 for an Udi's box lunch (contains a turkey, roast beef, ham or veggie sandwich, side salad and a dessert).
Space is limited!
During the workshops we will be navigating through various genealogy websites including Ancestry.com. In order for you to fully explore Ancestry.com for the class, you can sign up for a FREE 14-day trial if you do not already have an account. Visit ancestry.com to sign up a few days before the workshop.
Space is limited to the room's capacity.
Interested in more advanced genealogy workshops? Contact Mona at email@example.com or call 303-492-6329.
Please include a comment or question about something specific you want to learn and Mona will address the item with the whole class.